What do you do on a Cloudy Day with Kids? Make Chocolately Cheesecake using the InstantPot
So after hesitating for a couple of months on whether or not to purchase the InstantPot (we purchased the 6qt. DUO), we took a leap of faith and finally did it and purchased this wonderful kitchen machine about a week ago. It has been a great experience so far and we're happy to say that this thing can do about anything. We've made Roasts in it, Pasta in It, Rice in It, Chicken and Shrimp in it, Ribs and quite a bit more since it has been an addiction to use it since we got it. It's kind of like not realizing the capabilities of a smart phone until you get it and then realizing how on earth did you survive without it before. Anyhow, to test its limits we decided that we would make a Chocolately Cheesecake.
Total Prep time - for us it was 15 to 20 minutes only because we were making it with two kids assisting us.
Cook time - 28 minutes on high pressure and 15 minutes on natural release
Ganache topping and garnish done the next day - 5 minutes
Overnight Refrigeration is required so if you're going to make it for a party - plan on doing it the day before
To create this we needed a 7" Spring Form - I purchased one made for the InstantPot only because I didn't have one since I am not a baker by any means and I'm glad I did as it is made of silicone and glass which is perfect for not sticking so you won't need to grease anything.
The ingredients you'll need are:
For the base or crust:
- 22 Oreo cookies crush by hand or with a food processor
- 4 tbsp of unsalted melted butter
For the Cheesecake:
- 2, 250g packages of cream cheese - we used one light and one regular (kept out for 2 hours at least so they are nice and smooth)
- 1/4 cup white sugar - or sweetener such as Splenda or Stevia
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- 2 egg yolks (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1, 250g bag of dark chocolate chips, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp flour
For the Ganache
- 3/4 cup of chocolate (milk, dark - any type you prefer)
- 3 oz. of heavy whipping cream
The Base Layer or Crumble
- Prior to mixing the ingredients, if you have to use a springform pan, spray it with cooking spray.
- Place 2 cups of water at the bottom of the InstantPot.
- Make a aluminum foil sling by folding a 12" to 14" piece of aluminum foil in half. This will aid in putting the springform into the InstantPot and then removing it.
- Use a food processor or if you don't have one, you can also do it by hand and crush your 22 oreo cookies and then mix them with the 4 tbsp of butter. We don't have a food processor so we used the attachment on our immersion blender to do this.
- Layer the crumble mixture on the bottom of your springform and then put it in the freezer for 10 minutes to harden the butter.
Creating the Cheesecake
- Melt your bag of dark chocolate in a double boiler stovetop or using the microwave.
- Again, if you have a food processor, this would be ideal in mixing all of your ingredients together. We didn't so we used our mixer to do this. Combine your two packages of cream cheese with the brown sugar, white sugar (or sweetener), and cocoa powder. Allow it to mix until all the ingredients are blended together.
- Then add in your eggs - first your whole egg and then your egg yolks.
- Then add in the melted chocolate and the sour cream.
- Scrape the sides of your bowl to ensure that the mixture if homogenous and add the vanilla and flour and continuing mixing until the consistency is creamy.
- Pour the mixture into the springform and even it out with a spatula. Place the springform on your aluminum sling and lower it into your InstantPot which already has your 2 cups of water in it.
- Set your InstantPot to maximum pressure for 28 minutes and allow it to naturally release for 15 minutes. Make sure to remove the Keep Warm setting.
- Unlock lid and use sling to transfer springform to cooling rack for an hour and then refrigerate overnight!
Ganache - Next Day
- Heat the heavy whipping cream to simmer and then add 3/4 cup of chocolate and turn off the heat. Mix well until smooth and creamy and the poor over your cheesecake.
- Use a spatula to spread it all around and then refrigerate once again. While the ganache is setting you can create garnishes to add a little extra to your cheesecake. We made strawberry rosettes to top ours.
Stay Tuned as we will be posting a video shortly!!!
We hope that you enjoyed this recipe. We sure did! Thank you and we hope to bring you more from our Recipe Corner!